Thursday, October 27, 2011

Our *First* Home!

It was the end of April when I had this crazy idea to pursue a "For Sale" home that was being sold by auction. Nobody knew much about the process of buying a home through auction so I looked into the specifics and when the time came to sit outside the home on May 15th with a number in hand I. WAS. READY!

Ok...ok...so it wasn't this easy! Buying a home through an auction is alot different than going through a realtor, you MUST be certain you are qualified beforehand, there is no home inspection needed, no realtor to go through for any and every question you may have, and there is this minor detail called 20% down payment that you also must have available to the auctioneer when the sale is over! But with the BIG help from my parents, an auctioneer who let us view the house 5+ times before the auction and an awesome lendor we really felt like we had a chance to get a house we loved for a reasonable price!

So on May 15th my Dad and I pulled up to the home...the home I wanted so badly to be mine... and I was sooo nervous - oh and did I mention Alex had a baseball tournament so I was sans husband while trying to purchase OUR first home! Before I knew it the auction had began and all I could do was think about how NOT to throw up! Ha! Needless to say, I gave my dad the number and trusted that he would do everything he could to get us the home! It wasn't 20 minutes later he looked at us and said SOLD! I was SO excited!! I laughed, I jumped, I cried, I clapped - all within a minute of hearing the good news!!

We were able to move in to our home over the 4th of July weekend, after about a month of CONSTANT renovations! I still walk around wondering how we were able to get so much accomplished in such a short amount of time but we did it - with the help of some awesome friends and family!! Here are pictures from our project and the steps we took to make this house OUR home!

Living Room!
Painted, tore up flooring, refinished hardwood floors, new ceiling fan, new window treatments, tore wallpaper from ceiling beams (yes, there was even wallpaper on those beams!!)

Dining Room and Kitchen!

Your only two pictures in and I already know what you're thinking! "This. Is. Hidious!" ....Well, your right; it was! But let me tell ya, it looks so good now! We tore wallpaper, tore out carpet, laid new floor, refinished wood floor, painted cabinets and walls, tore more wallpaper, new back door, added a stove, knocked out a wall where the stove used to be, built a breakfast bar, added a range hood and new dining room light (neither pictured in this batch of pics), and added baseboards.....all in about 1 months time!

Stay tuned....next up, kids' rooms!!

No comments:

Post a Comment